I will start in Cardiff on 18th April, walking East past Newport, then up Offa’s Dyke and the borders, round the new Welsh Coast Path from Chester along the North Wales coast, around Anglesey and Lleyn Peninsula, down the West coast, around Pembroke and then along the South from Carmarthen, round Gower, ending up back at Cardiff on 28th July.
I plan to walking for approximately 60 days averaging 17 miles per day, with another 40 days for writing, talks, and the odd wedding. The dates against each stage are approximate; weather, meetings and sore feet may all mean I need to adjust dynamically. However, there are some fixed dates.
- SPOT map – satellite service, should update every 10 mins when outdoors.
- ViewRanger buddy beacon – mobile-based service
- Wed 17th April — public lecture “Treading Out Technology” at Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Thurs 18th April — walk starts 🙂
- Fri 26th April — fly to Paris for CHI conference
- Sat 27th April — present on walk at GeoHCI meeting
- Fri 3rd May — resume walk
- Thurs 9th May — talk at School of Computing and Communications Technology
Glyndwr University, Wrexham
- Sunday 12th May — start Wales Coast Path at Chester (definite date)
- Tues 21st May — visit MHA site at Colwyn Bay
- Thursday 23rd May night in morphPOD
- Sat 26th July — visit MHA site at Penarth
- Sun 28th July — finish in Cardiff 🙂 🙂 🙂
I’ve started a Google calendar that I’ll update as things solidify
The following stages are based on where my bits of paper ran out when I was first measuring up last year, but also start-end at significant points. I’ll probably modify at some stage to correspond to the official WCP sections, or at least mark these.
Further route information:
Wales Coast Path
LDWA page for the Wales Coast Path
There is a GPX file and interactive map for Offa’s Dyke at gps-routes.
LDWA page for Offa’s Dyke.